Fort Gibson – Additional Structures


Around 1840, plans were drawn up to move the post to a nearby ridge, which became known as Garrison Hill.  Many of the new buildings were constructed at least partially of stone, or otherwise used more conventional wood framing.  The fort became a staging area for troops on the way to the Mexican–American War.

Fort Gibson was abandoned in 1857 and the land was deeded to the (relocated) Cherokee Nation, who established a village.  But Confederate and then Union troops occupied the fort during the American Civil War.  In 1862, the Union army renamed the post Fort Blunt, and built earthwork defenses.  In the summer of 1863, Union intelligence reported a planned Confederate attack on the fort, once sufficient troops had arrived.  The Union troops and allied natives marched out in a preemptive strike, defeating the Confederate camp about 25 miles away at the Battle of Honey Springs.  The victory effectively pushed the Confederates out of the Indian Territory.

After the war, it continued to operate as a U.S. Army post (as Fort Gibson once again).  In the 1870’s, only a small garrison remained, mostly engaged in policing work camps building the Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad.  The fort was permanently abandoned in 1890.